Gambling can be great fun and at Pennsylvaniacasino we pride ourselves in knowing a thing or two about casino games and other forms of gambling. We also know that gambling is something which you need to treat with a great deal of respect, and as long as you do, all your gambling experience will be a good one.
Our guide to responsible gambling is a tool to help you enjoy it even more and while it might seem a bit dark to warn of compulsive playing and addiction, we believe that knowledge of these afflictions will help you focus further still on responsible game play.
Next time you go to the casino, follow all our points on responsible gambling and, win or lose, you’re sure to have a great time.
Gambling Is a Form of Entertainment
There are some people who take gambling very seriously indeed, but what you need to remember is that it’s just a hobby or a pastime. It’s a form of entertainment like going to a game or the theatre. You should always remember this when you play.
Money will of course be involved, but at casinos, both online and offline, you are permitted to play many games for low stakes. There’s nothing wrong with being a low stakes player and it can help your gambling budget last longer. After all, you want your entertainment to last longer than a couple of minutes, don’t you?
Just like going for a couple of beers, gambling needs to be enjoyed responsibly. If you stick to the following rules of responsible gambling you’ll not go wrong.
- Decide your bankroll – Before you gamble you need to set aside money with which you’ll play – your bankroll. This money should be separate from all the other money in your wallet. It’s important to keep tabs on your gambling expenditure and that you stick to the amount you agreed was your limit before starting.
- It’s entertainment – As we said above, it’s entertainment. Remind yourself of this every once in a while, particularly once you’ve immersed yourself in gambling for a couple of hours. Gambling is fun and you want to make sure you keep it that way.
- It’s not a job – There are people who make serious money from gambling, but they’ve been plying their trade for years. You shouldn’t see gambling as a way to make rent this month or pay any of your bills or debts.
- Take the rough with the smooth – Sometimes you’ll win and sometimes you’ll lose. Deal with it. It’s just like watching your favorite sports team. There will be ups and downs.
- Come up for air – Take a break every once in a while. Gambling for a long period can be bad for your mental state and if you play online, it can be bad for your eyes. Stop for a few minutes, the tables will still be there when you come back.
- Only play sober – Have you ever noticed that casinos are quite liberal with the drinks? That’s because drunk people are more likely to throw caution to the wind and gamble more. For that reason, you should never consume alcohol whilst gambling. Playing with a totally level head will give you a better chance of not going off the rails.
- Never chase losses – This is really the golden rule of gambling. No proper gambler would ever chase their losses as it is a sign of desperation which usually leads to reckless playing and potentially even greater losses.
Signs of Compulsive Gambling
You can enjoy gambling without it being a problem, but for some it can become more than just a bit of fun. If you find yourself breaking any of the above rules or any of the ones below then you are becoming a compulsive gambler.
- Borrowing or stealing money to fund gambling
- Trying to gamble your way out of debt
- Gambling is a means of escape
- Gambling in secret
- Lying about gambling
- Losing sleep because of gambling
- Gambling higher stakes than usual
- Gambling even after a decent win
If you see yourself in some of these points then you are gambling compulsively and might even have a gambling addiction. Help is it hand if you find yourself in this position and it needn’t become difficult.
Dealing with Problem Gambling
If you realize that gambling is becoming a problem then you should stop. If the problem was caused by playing often then you should find this quite easy and can just take a little break from it for a while, but if you find yourself becoming angry or upset because you can’t gamble then it might be more serious.
Doctors take addiction seriously and if you speak to yours candidly about your gambling problem they will put you in touch with the right kind of support network with which to deal with it. There are numerous support groups for problem gamblers and they really can help you quit.
You should also talk to your friends and family about your gambling problem. This could be tough as your gambling activities may well have impacted them in some way, depending how serious you became.
Above all, don’t worry. Gambling addiction is 100% beatable and many people have walked down that path and come out the other side unscathed.
If you think that you require more than self-help, don’t worry. You’re not alone. Countless gamblers have been in your shoes one time or another, and the majority of them made full recovery with the help of these professional organizations that are dedicated to helping you overcome your addiction.
You’ll be in good hands with any of these sites.